Tuesday 19 January 2016

Stories inspired by old photos: Economic activity



FRANCE
     
I remember this sunny and hot summer day when my brother, mom and I went to the market for a walk. We were in Biscarosse. There was a fat lady from Africa. She had braids that were tied by a pink band. She owned a little place where we could get our hair done and I desperately wanted to go in. I desired braids on the left side of my head only. I begged but my mother wouldn't let me. Five minutes later, she eventually agreed. I was in heaven ! Once I got my hair done, I was the happiest girl in the world.


ITALY

     Looking at this photo I remember that day when my mother told me to go to the street market to buy some fruit and vegetables. After having bought each product of the list, I wandered about the market. At a certain moment I heard a young woman who cried while selling the fish. I was attracted by her voice and as I loved fish so much and as I am very curious I got closer to her fish stand. There was each kind of fish! But two fishes I’ve never seen before attracted my attention! The woman answered me there were two trouts and that they were very tasty. I decided  to  buy  two trouts even if my  mother hadn’t told me to buy some fish! The woman explained me how to cook them. I cooked them, then I layed the table and when my family arrived they were very happy. That day I discovered I loved cooking!

Cristiano Greco

SPAIN

     This picture tells me that the woman is selling fish to pay the rent or to feed her children. I can also guess that the costumer has a family. The picture also tells me that in this town there is an important commercial activity, a lot of markets and inhabitants, so it must be a noisy place.
     I think, as I look at the picture, that this society is male chauvinist because I can only see women working. It reminds me of an Asian country, like India, for example. By the woman’s face I can guess that they work a lot, she looks as if she was in pain, as if her bones were aching. The people in the picture are mostly old or middle-aged. I think all the commercial activity of this town is based on consumer products and craftwork.
     Trade gives me a feeling of freedom, because you can choose if you want to buy or sell and besides, is very familiar to me, as you can see it everywhere you go. 

Álvaro Sánchez

GERMANY

     This story happened in a small town in France at the Atlantic Coast. The lady in the picture is the wife of a fisherman who made a big catch of sardines last night. So, when the fisherman´s wife came to the port this morning she was so happy to see him with the big catch. But then, the lady had a problem. She didn´t know how to transport all the sardines to the market. But she tried and made it quite good. Before she sold the fish on the market, she bought some ice to cool all the fish during the warm day. The lady hoped to sell all the fish, because she needed the money to pay the doctor who looked after her sick daughter. The photo was taken when the mayors son came to the market and bought two kilos of sardines. The lady was very excited, because nobody before him bought two kilos fish. But she didn´t know that sardines were the son´s favourite dish. The rest of the day was also very good, she sold all the fish. She only kept twelve sardines to make dinner for her husband, her daughter
and herself.


Lennart Wieck

No comments:

Post a Comment